Camp Hale was established in 1942 in west-central Colorado to provide winter and mountain warfare training during World War II (WWII). The site was acquired by purchase from private owners and by use permits from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. The cantonment (or living area) area for Camp Hale was constructed in Eagle Park, east of Highway 24 between Leadville and Red Cliff, Colorado. The camp was established here because of the natural setting of a large, flat valley bottom, surrounded by steep hillsides suitable for training in skiing, rock climbing, and cold weather survival skills. The size of Camp Hale varied between 5,000 and 247,243 acres during the time that it was an active military installation.
It is an awesome place to ATV!
|Camp site on creek||Taking a breather|
|Area parked in||Camp Hale Valley|
|The clouds and rain rolled in on us.||For about two hours....|
|Views from on top||Riding around on top|
|Pan-ark reservoir||Getting there!|